Professional Kitchen Disposal Services in Huntsville
Garbage disposals are small appliances installed in sinks that require special considerations in use, and routine maintenance to ensure proper function. Few homeowners’ realize the care required, resulting in malfunctions or damage. Perhaps it is in the name, and a proper name would be a kitchen disposal, rather than using the term garbage disposal. Jackson Plumbing’s plumbers in Huntsville, ALKitchen disposals are used for the disposal of certain food waste, and are unsuitable for some food waste. The two most common causes of a malfunction are overloading the appliance, and disposing of non-approved food waste into it which can cause disposal or drain clogs, and damage to the appliance.
When problems arise, our experienced plumbers in Huntsville, AL can service, repair or replace your malfunctioning garbage disposal.
The most important tips for proper operation of the appliance is first, to always turn the water on before starting the disposal. Second, never overload the disposal, cut approved food waste into small places and feed into the disposal one piece at a time. If you have a lot of waste place it in the trash or compost it rather than risking an overload of the disposal.
Proper Care and Use
Read your owner’s manual for a full list of approved and non-approved materials the disposal will handle. Using caution and following instructions will extend its lifespan. When your disposal malfunctions, contact Benjamin Franklin’s plumbers in Huntsville, AL for assistance. The following tips will help to prevent clogs and damage:
- Non-approved food waste includes potato peelings, banana peels, pasta, rice, celery, or other stringy, fibrous foods. In addition, don’t place coffee grounds, eggshells, bones, fruit pits such as cherry or peach, plastic, metal, paper, foam, glass, rubber, grease or oil in the disposal. Fibrous foods will quickly jam the disposal, while hard items such as cherry pits or metal can damage the appliance, resulting in the need for repair by the plumbers in Huntsville, AL.
- Run cold water before, during and after use. Allow the water to run for at least 20 seconds after use to flush the appliance and the drain.
- Use only cold water while operating the disposal. Hot water can be used any other time, but not during its operation.
- Don’t overload the disposal with food waste to avoid jams. Place one or two small cut-up pieces into the disposal at a time.
- Grind up lemon or orange peels to deodorize the disposal. You may also freeze vinegar in an ice tray, and drop a few cubes into the disposal. Commercial cleaners are available as well.
By following these tips for garbage disposals, your appliance can serve you for some years. For professional garbage disposal repair, service, or replacement, contact Jackson Plumbing’s plumbers in Huntsville, AL today to schedule service. Our repairs are backed by a 2 year warranty, and your 100% satisfaction guaranteed.